Tuesday 30 December 2008

The last supper

Well, not exactly the last supper, but the nearest thing to it right now. Lots of us went across the road for drinks at The Distillers.

It's such a strange situation that nobody really knows how to handle it. Lots of talk about new doors opening, reunions, Facebook groups etc. I really hope that each and every one of the people in that room is able to emerge from this with something better than they had.

As Suzanne said, it's not the people that you got close to - you'll keep in touch with them. It's the people that you just worked with. The people who have been the canvas for every day you walked into the office. The people who will in all likelihood never be a part of your life again.

So even though I'm writing this on the Piccadilly line and nowhere near a bar, I raise an imaginary drink to everyone at zavvi that I was privileged to work with. Some of you were probably really good at what you did, maybe some of you were just ok. It really doesn't matter.

I've worked for companies, and I've worked for myself. But I can honestly say that in the last year I found a family. A group of people who wanted to achieve a dream against all the odds.

I'm listening to my ipod on shuffle as I write this, and right now it's playing the Rocky theme tune (I'm not making this up, honestly). And there you have it: the story of the underdog, punching above his weight, with no right to succeed. The only problem is that we were Rocky 2 and not the original. We got the girl but lost the fight.

But hey, Rocky came back, didn't he?

1 comment:

MrBrady said...

I'm sorry that I missed all of the collective drinks since the news started to break. I share your sentiments exactly, I had never worked in such a driven group before, and I probably never will again.