Tuesday 2 December 2008

Why now?

I'd been thinking about blogging again for a few weeks, but the notion crystalised for me in the middle of a long, cold night last week. With apologies for any unwelcome detail, I was suffering the effects of a horrendous stomach bug that was intent on relieving me of half my body weight in the space of a few hours.

As I crouched, shivering and sorry for myself, waiting for the next wave of sickness, I couldn't stop thinking that when this was all over I'd be able to crawl back into a warm bed. Furthermore, I could rehydrate myself with clean water from the tap; I could take some medicine to make myself feel better; if I needed any attention I had access to 24 hour services. The contrast with millions of people in the world's poorer countries couldn't have been more stark - not for them a cosy bed, more likely cholera or a warm grave.

So without coming over all Bob Geldof or Bono, it's a fact that a lot of good things happen to most of us - in fairness, I suppose I should only speak for myself - and I think sometimes we don't fully appreciate how lucky we are. That's what Melvtopia is all about - appreciating the good stuff where I can find it. Here goes.

No comments: