Wednesday 21 January 2009

The ups and downs of jobhunting


When you're at home jobhunting, time is measured by hours, not days, weeks or months. A few quiet hours and it feels like nothing's happening, and a few hours later you can be back to feeling good about things. I started yesterday reviewing opportunities, sending out the odd cv to agencies, and thinking that things were slowing down.

Then I got a call from a headhunter about an opportunity for a retail brand that is, shall we say, a bit racy. The boys would like that one if it came off. Actually, the girls would probably like it more...

Off to Fulham for a meeting with my mate Simon to talk about mobile marketing, then met at the Ship Tavern in Holborn with old friend and ex-zavvi colleague John Crawford for some excellent Theakston's and a really good chat. If ever there was someone to boost your confidence, it's John.

While I was on my way to meet John, another headhunter has contacted me about an eCommerce position with a major electronics manufacturer - I had an introductory chat with her today and it could be interesting. Another ex-colleague, Allison, sent me another opportunity that could also be worth pursuing.

So stuff is happening, although if I'm honest I have to say it feels a little slow and I'm feeling a little weary today. That's the ups and downs of jobhunting. I have a call with someone from New Zealand this evening although I doubt if I'd be prepared to arrange my working life around evening conference calls every day.

In the meantime, we're all rooting for Suzanne who is on a fourth interview for what sounds like a really exciting role - you go girl!

1 comment:

SuzeJ said...

Thanks Melvin. The good thoughts obviously worked - hopefully start next week! x