Sunday 18 January 2009

The weekend

It's been a great weekend so far. Yesterday, we took James back to university and did some shopping in Guildford, driving back to London just in time to make the early showing of Slumdog Millionaire.

All that's been written about is true, and then some. It's been billed as a feelgood movie and it's definitely a movie that makes you walk out with a huge smile on your face. But it only gets there via a series of personal journeys that are anything but feelgood and it's this combination of hardship and tragedy coupled with love and dreams that makes Danny Boyle's film one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Emerging from the cinema into gale force winds and horizontal rain, Wenge and I took refuge in the John Baird where we had a drink and a Thai meal in their Black Orchid restaurant. Very nice.

In the meantime, Kris Boyd scored 2 as Rangers beat Falkirk 3-1 - how Rangers are even considering selling him is just beyond me... he's started 99 games for Rangers and scored 92 goals.

This morning, Wenge and I had a bracing but highly enjoyable walk on Hampstead Heath, and I've just seen that Aberdeen have beaten Celtic to reduce the gap at the top of the SPL to 2 points.

Now, it's up to the Eagles to cap it off with a win in Arizona tonight. Another excuse, I believe, for a gratuitous pic of an Eagles cheerleader.

I'm only joking, of course. I wouldn't be that shallow. However, I'm sure you'll all want to join me in congratulating Amy, who has been named a 2009 Pro Bowl Cheerleader.

No comments: