Tuesday 20 January 2009

Hope is on the way

So today is the day.

Despite what some of my ex-colleagues (yes you, SJ) might claim, I don't remember JFK; but I have always been captivated by him: the youthful optimism, the charisma and the all-too-short 'Camelot' administration. We've waited a long time for a successor.

I was lucky enough to be working in Philadelphia in July 2004 when Illinois Senate candidate Barack Obama introduced himself to Democrats and a national television audience, giving the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention. Obama told the story of his working class family and urged the nation to elect Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, saying he would ensure more educational and economic opportunities for all.

I watched Obama speak and, even then, it was crystal clear to me that I was watching the first black president of the USA. And today that day has come: his inauguration. At least two million people are expected to attend the inauguration in a record turnout for such an event, along with a television audience in the hundreds of millions if not billions.

Has there ever been so much faith put upon one man?

I, like most of the world, can't wait to hear his speech - already we know that it'll be up there with JFK and Martin Luther King. And I, along with most of the world, wish him the very best of luck.

In his own words, Yes we can.

3 comments:

Lies said...

I think we need a bit more than a speech bro'. Now we'll find out if intelligence, empathy and insight actually make any difference to the running of America. My experience of those running companies would suggest not.

the optimistic one said...

That, my friend, is exactly the kind of negative thinking that is forbidden within the peoples' republic of melvtopia.
Here, we recognise the problems and the challenges, but we choose to believe. Yes We Can!

Lies said...

It's only 40 years ago that my grandparents weren't allowed to vote in the US, refused on the grounds that they weren't American and didn't live in America. Try telling them that you can take positive slogans down to Tescos and buy pork chops with them.