Thursday 5 February 2009

I am a PC. Or am I?

Now that I'm using it every day, it's become clear that my laptop is no longer fit for purpose. So I need to replace it.

I've started looking in stores, and online, to decide what I want. I'm looking for a highly portable laptop with great performance, and I've been looking at the usual suspects such as Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Sony etc.

But for the first time I'm considering moving over to Apple. Someone at work showed me the new MacBook yesterday, and it ticks all the boxes for performance, portability, security and of course fantastic usability. It's also very cool, built as it is from one solid piece of aluminium.

So I need to decide. Should I go ahead and move to Mac, or should I stay with Windows? If I go with the Mac should I go for the new aluminium MacBook or the white one that's £400 cheaper? If I go with the aluminium one should I go for the higher spec. or the lower spec. that's £200 cheaper. Is it worth spending money on additional RAM and/or any software?

And how would I continue to use my favourite mind mapping software that's Windows only?

I'm open to advice....

3 comments:

MrBrady said...

Mac is just a grown-up Fisher Price toy. Avoid. You'll be frustrated with it in no time if you've only ever used PCs.

Andrew Falconer said...

Apple would be my recommendation. Lower cost of ownership, longer lifespan than most PCs, Leopard is rock-solid, and if you really want/need to also run Windows, you can, at least 3 different ways (Parallels, VMWare, Boot Camp). In fact, the MacBook Pro runs Windows faster than a lot of PC laptops on the market. And yes, the new MBPs are damn sexy. Ultimately it comes down to what tools you use everyday, and which platform helps you use those tools best.

I've been using Macs for the past 18 years, with a few short unfortunate detours into the Windows ghetto. Whenever I do have to venture into XPland, I wonder how the world gets things done. I can't imagine dealing with Vista.

pazen said...

M, don't do it... we'll have nothing to squabble about. wait. strike that. we'll always squabble over something. I second everything andrew said, the only thing I don't like about the MB is the lack of FW. boo that, but that machine is the only thing that makes me want to trade in my black macbook. right sexy, I say.