Saturday 28 February 2009

Follow Follow (or not)

I said at the beginning of the month that I'd like to get to 25 followers by the end of the month. Well, it's 3.30 on February 28, and the total is standing at 18. So unless there's a late rush I've failed to reach my target. Nevertheless, I'll be sending £18 (or more if that rush comes) to the Disaster Emergencies Committee so thank you to all of you who signed up to make that happen.

My good friend Lies, in any case, pointed out to me that followers isn't really a meaningful metric for a blog. If this was a twitter feed (mine is here, although it runs into melvtopia anyway) then followers would be the name of the game, but for a blog it's more about attracting and retaining visitors.

For the online marketers amongst you, melvtopia has had 629 visits 120 unique visitors) in the last month - mostly from the UK but also the United States, Spain, New Zealand, Costa Rica and Italy (Sweden, funnily enough Nigel, isn't on the list). 18% of you are new to melvtopia this month. The average visit lasted 2 minutes and 40 seconds with 1.85 page views making a total of 1,163 total page views this month. The peak day was Monday February 16 with 38 visits, which followed my Facebook mailout.

At the end of the day, though, melvtopia is a bit of fun and one more way for me to keep connected with old friends. So if you have any suggestions for improvements please let me know in a comment or email me.

1 comment:

thiswasme said...

Interesting, isn't it? Twitter is my best referrer for EatingAuckland at the moment; my personal one still gets an alarming amount of traffic to my one post ages ago about BA Air Miles. Other than that I'm pretty low on followers, but my Feedburner stats show I've more people receiving feeds than are following me.

I've no idea if this has any relevance to anything, though.