Friday 20 March 2009

Words

Went up to Borough Market at lunchtime on Friday with a crew (or was it a gang?) from MoS.

So we're enjoying some amazing steak sandwiches, with mustard that has been known to produce a nosebleed, and someone talks about meeting later - at the normal place. "The Normington?", asked another who hadn't quite heard. And there you have it: how words come about and language evolves. From this point on, The Normington will be a euphemism for 'the normal meeting place', wherever that might be. I urge you to use it in your own daily lives, and to report back on your success.  In fact, if we all make a real effort we can cement its place in the English language.

It's not the first time I've been involved in the birth of a new word, although the previous time the circumstances were very different. I was dreaming that I was in Brent Cross shopping centre, and (to cut a long story short) became embroiled in an argument with Billy Connolly who was shouting down at me from a first floor balcony.

As the argument continued, BC left his balcony and opened a door on the ground floor. He looked me in the eye and said, "why don't you just daepissit?" if you don't believe that's a word, I have a copy of an Elvis Love Songs album released by Pickwick when I was in charge of marketing there. On the back of the sleeve, is clearly, if too subtly for anyone checking it to notice, written the word daepissit. Does that constitute common usage? I'm not sure. It meant I had to pay out my bet with the Art Director though.

I think my explanation of how someone can be comfortable with their own mustarduality will have to wait for another time...

3 comments:

Lies said...

I think you'll find that although it was your dream it was me that Connolly was talking to, and I still have that album and no one ever believes, or understands why that word it hidden on it. Go figure. Oh and while we're on the subject I invented Wenge. The name and the person.

the optimistic one said...

In that case I stand corrected - my apologies for inadvertantly writing you out of history.
As for Wenge - the name, yes...

Lies said...

In my hood it's called giving the props.