Sunday 14 February 2010

A painful walk home

City of London from Alexandra Palace
To get home from work, I take the tube and then the train to Alexandra Park station. It's then a 15 minute walk up the hill and round the Palace to my house.

I've remarked before how stunning the view can be - the whole of London spread out before me in all its splendour.

My walk home on Tuesday night was unremarkable. A cold, clear night meant that the vista was at its most impressive, but unfortunately for me it wasn't the city view that was taking my attention.

Sadly my colleague Claire had lost her grandmother the previous day, and had been off work. I texted her to find out how she was, and as I was walking along with my eyes on the phone - BAM!  My first thought was that I'd been mugged, but I realised very soon that I'd just created a comedy moment by walking straight into a tree.  A big bugger at that.

The tree (pictured) stood right in the middle of the pavement, but to be fair to it, it's been in exactly the same place ever since I've been in London so I can't really say it was malicious.

Anyway, the result was that I walked into my house with blood flowing from my cut nose, and I've now been called Mikhail Gorbachev on more than one occasion.

Don't try this at home...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wont issue any photos - you're a braver man than me - but having walked into a lamppost a couple of weeks ago - I have compounded this by banging my head against the corner of my car door yesterday while cleaning it. Don't know if you've ever done this, but a) It hurts like hell, b) It bleeds profusely, and c) Leaves a dirty great big bump. This is all fine, but guess who has a big presentation in 1 weeks time - and here's me looking like I came off second best in a bar fight on Saturday night....

In short, I can empathise ... :)

Arch said...

I know I shouldn't laugh at someone else's misfortune but that story did make me laugh! especially as i was expecting a mugging, I bet you also looked round to see if someone had seen it happen