Wednesday 20 May 2009

To cheat or not to cheat

In case you didn't know by now, I'm a Rangers fan. That means that when I'm with non-Rangers supporters (Steve K, for example) I'll usually try to support my team. But I'm also, I think, a reasonably balanced individual who doesn't always see things in black and white.

I found it impossible, for example, to defend the behaviour of a number of Rangers fans when we got to the UEFA cup final last year. The whole episode sickened me and ruined what was in all other respects a fantastic occasion.

Then, on Saturday, one of our players, Kyle Lafferty, managed to provide one of those moments that will be shown and shown again for years - cheating a fellow professional to get him sent off. Disgraceful, and unacceptable for any Rangers player - indeed for any professional footballer.

Lafferty has been villified in the media, and rightly so, but I do sometimes wonder about the accepted wisdom in football that cheating or spitting (oh, how the media love a spitting story) is somehow a more heinous crime than, for example, deliberately going over the top to injure someone.

I wouldn't dream of indulging in petty rivalry to make a point, but compare and contrast Kyle Lafferty's childish and despicable actions with Glenn Loovens' deliberate attempt to injure an opposition player. I know which I think is worse.

1 comment:

Lies said...

I know it's all 'hard man' Scotland but I think we should take this in the spirit it was intended - comedy jape. The look on Mulgrew's face is priceless. How he must have laughed when he got back to the empty dressing room. He must have been waiting for Beadle to pop up with a camera. But of course Beadle's DEAD. Unless he's going to jump out of that coffin. Comedy is all about timing though, so get on with it Jeremy.