Tuesday 26 May 2009

That winning feeling...


In the end, it was easy. A comfortable 3-0 win for Rangers at Tannadice while Celtic were unable to score against Hearts meant that the league championship returned to its rightful home in Govan. The helicopter didn't even have to change direction this time, as it had when Celtic lost two late goals in Motherwell to give Rangers the league in 2005.

I was preparing for a far more tense afternoon. Up early on Saturday morning, I went through my usual routine for important games: make sure that there's no hint of any green in any of my clothes, and enjoy a cup of coffee in my Rangers mug. Hoping for the best, but fearing the worst, I nervously got through the morning, only allowing myself one short period of absolute belief that my boys would step up and do what was needed. However, our poor record against Dundee United over the last few years ensured that this was to be a short-lived high.

Ice cubes were prepared and a bottle of champagne was on standby in the cellar, but that's as far as I was going to tempt fate until I could be confident we had won. I've seen too many last minute twists.
I needn't have worried. It took only 6 minutes for last week's villain Kyle Lafferty to redeem himself with an early opener to settle the nerves. Then, on the stroke of half time Pedro Mendes powered a beauty through a cluster of Dundee United players to take us in 2-0 up at the break. Kris Boyd added the killer third and at that moment I knew it was safe to put the champagne on ice ready for full time.

Roll on the Champions League!

No comments: