Tuesday 9 March 2010

Limited Addition

The much-vaunted fall in educational standards isn't all bad, I discovered on Saturday.

In my local cheese shop I ordered some (very ripe) Brie de Meaux and some mature Manchego, costing around £7.40 and £4.30 respectively.
The girl at the till entered the two amounts, but must have left the previous transaction open because the bill added up to around £29. To her credit, she did notice that it was wrong so tried again, this time adding up to £40.

Giving up on technology, she decided to just add the two amounts in her head. A sensible plan I thought, except that in her method of adding up she started from the left and not the right: "7 and 4 makes 11, 4 and ...".

Needless to say, and I hope you'll forgive the mixed metaphor, she got into a bit of a pickle, which she impressively resolved with a flourish. "This is too difficult - can we just call it a tenner?".

Everyone's a winner.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: