Sunday 26 April 2009

Twitter for beginners

Twitter is one of those disruptive and decisive technologies. Some people use it all the time; some (like me) dabble in it, and there are lots who just don't see the point.

Twitter also has that fad factor, which can annoy people. You can't read a paper, or browse the internet, without reading about how Demi Moore is supporting someone on Britain's got Talent, or how 20,000 people knew when Stephen Fry was stuck in a lift because he was posting tweets about it.

I always think with these new technologies (if, indeed, a technology is the right way to describe Twitter - social media may be more accurate) the way to approach them is to look for the value they can give you personally. If you can find value, use them; if you don't, then don't use them. But it's worth taking a little time to explore and understand before you say no.

Facebook has value to me because it lets me keep in touch with friends and what they're up to. Of course I can call them and email them and - gasp - even meet them in person. But that's just not possible with everyone, or as often as I'd like, so Facebook fills that void.

LinkedIn fulfils a different need. It's my professional profile, and I have a different persona there. For those of us who have been in the job market LinkedIn is invaluable - these days it's a primary interface with recruiters. Over the last few months I've been contacted directly by Amazon, BestBuy and Waterstones, as well as by quite a few headhunters, because they saw my profile in LinkedIn.

With Twitter, I admit I haven't yet found the killer value, although I'm getting closer. According to Twanalysis I'm still a newbie, so I'm still learning.  What I've learned is that the basic "I'm on the train" or "I'm watching The Wire" or "I'm stuck in a lift" messages aren't the future of Twitter.  The future is in collaboration of the dissemination of information, in a way that's relevant and accessible.  


One example is citizen journalism.  During the demonstrations at the recent G20 summit, some of the most up-to-date news was coming from people on the streets who were posting real-time updates from across London.  It would be physically impossible for news organisations to cover so many locations on the ground.

At a more personal level, Derek Dunlop told me that he looks for my tweets on Rangers scores when he's travelling as it's the best way for him to keep up with games.

Or for a more imaginative use of Twitter, I saw that Dan was taking part in a Twitter wine tasting.  You get a bunch of people to buy the same wine and taste it at the same time regardless of where they are - then post comments and see what others are saying.  Maybe a gimmick, but a fun one.

I think part of the problem with Twitter is that the website is so awful, and doesn't actually help newcomers to do anything but the most basic posting.  You can post links, photos, videos on twitter.  You can send and receive messages directly with friends. You can search for anything and see tweets relevant to that search term.  But those things can be pretty daunting for someone who's new to it.

As I said, I'm still pretty green so I don't pretend to be an expert.  Until recently my Twitter access has been mostly on my mobile (using Twitterberry) - just posting the odd update and seeing what friends are posting.  I've now discovered Tweetdeck, which I highly recommend. Tweetdeck allows you to view your Twitter activity including any groups or searches in neat columns in one dashboard.  As a bonus, you can also see all your friends' Facebook status updates, and update your status direct from Tweetdeck.  Awesome.

So my message is; don't think of Twitter in terms of learning what people are having for breakfast.  Think of it as a new and rapidly evolving form of social media that is here to stay. And the sooner you embrace it the better placed you'll be to use it to your benefit.

5 comments:

Karen S said...

This was a great and thoughtful post, Melvin. Though lately I feel like my mind starts wandering after the first 140 characters of anything I read. I really need to see a doctor about that! ;)

the optimistic one said...

I've got this new social media idea that I believe will ultimately replace Twitter. I'm going to call it witt and you can post messages of up to 80 characters -what do you think?

Max said...

Melve,
As you say, the important thing is that people do at least dabble because something of value is likely to emerge - even digital nay sayers are doing things and achieving things online that would come as quite a surprise if they were forced to re-live a past year from say a decade ago. Like all things that are transformational, they change our behaviours in increments, by creeping up on us when we're not really looking.
In all this, in recognising the significance of online these days, I call upon you as my Digital Oracle to re-assure us about the future robustness and stability of the internet. Perhaps it was just another example of rash reporting, but I read recently (it wasn't April 1st) that the whole system is getting data overload to the point at which as early as next year we could see our computers running horribly slowly and frequently losing connectivity. Apparently, it's down to data rich services such as YouTube, movie downloads etc. Some scary stats emerged - YouTube's total traffic in TrigaBytes or whatever has grown to the point where it is now equivalent to the total data volume across the whole web in the year 2000! If it does get that way, then the internet will cease to be the kind of 'mission critical' system that business needs. Really scary; must we return for example, to the days of motorcycle courier deliveries across London!
Tell me its not true.

Stewart said...

A god intro Melvin and places Twitter in a meaningful context. It is great to see how that open architecture sort of approach that Salesforce promoted has opened the world of social media up to a whole generation of new development talent that keep adding new functionality daily.

pazen said...

got the tv on in the background, and Oprah reruns come on after Nightline. she claims twitter is "time consuming" ugh. I guess when you have to call your producer to get a writer and have it run past your editor...